Drops Community

Too many anglicisms

There are many anglicism and mistranslations:
“Le pop-corn” should be “mais soufflé”

Le milkshake should be “lait frappé”

Le confiture means jam or jelly spread but is picture is of a freestanding jelly, which is “la gelée”

La coca is shown as meaning Coca-Cola but it means the coca plant. Un soda would be a better word.

3 Likes

French here.

Even if I agree with you on the words for pop-corn and milkshake, a lot of people use those anglicism.
For coca, it should be cola — but again a lot of people say coca because of the brand —, we use it to call all drinks like Coca Cola (so Pepsi, Breizh Cola, and so on), soda is more generic. For instance, it can be Orangina, Sprite, 7up or Coca-Cola.

1 Like

It also depends where you are, many words like these are different in various regions. Canadian French is fairly different than European.

1 Like

Interesting! I didn’t know this. I see a lot of words that do seem “anglicised”, but not sure. “Le blender”, “le train”, “le bus”. Thoughts?

1 Like

Le train was more likely a borrowing from French into English as trains were more common on the continent of Europe than in the British Isles. Also, French was still more affluent than English in the 19th century when trains were exceptionally popular. The reverse is true for blender as it’s likely a more modern invention.

1 Like

According to Linguee, Le mélangeur would be more accurate than Le blender

1 Like

I like that, Le mélangeur. :blush:

1 Like

Oh, and I usually hear / see l’autobus on my public transportation stuff in my city. I live in a bilingual region and need to improve my French for work. It’s very frustrating when tools like these are not helpful and includes vocabulary that I won’t be able to use for my formal Second Language Evaluations

1 Like

I use several different apps. It helps with different aspects of any language, mix if up! I do love Drops for new words. I just pick the words I would use, & leave the others. Give them suggestions for words you would like! :blush:

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 1 reply.