Drops Community

The lack of definite articles in Dutch

First of all, I want to say thank you for your work on such a wonderful app.

But I think you can do it even more better. I currently use Holland version of Drops. And there is a drawback that force me to use dictionary after every theme: the lack of definite articles.

There two definite articles in Dutch: de and het. Whether one should use de or het depends on the gender of the noun. So, I have to check which article to use on my own, which is not very convenient.

Also, I noticed that articles already exist in new topics (which make up less than 10% of the total).

Do you have any plans for further improvements of articles in Dutch?

4 Likes

Hi @Alexey_Pustynnikov,

Thanks for playing Drops, and taking the time to share your suggestion with us!

We keep working on improving and refining the app and the content, please stay tuned!

Cheers,

Gina
@ The Drops Support Team

1 Like

I am also learning Dutch on Drops. Practicing articles with nouns would be helpful.

I am also using French and Russian Drops. Thank you for the huge amount of work you’ve done already!

3 Likes

Definitely +1 for this request!!! Please implement it! :pray:

2 Likes

I’m learning Spanish, but my native language is Dutch. I also noticed the articles in Dutch missing in the solutions. Guess this omission in the Dutch vocabulary goes both ways. This needs to be fixed.

2 Likes

I’m willing to help with this. You can send me the po-files to add the articles.

1 Like

Hi @Dennis_Piet,

We really appreciate your kind offer!

We work with native speaker translators and proofreaders, and constantly try to refine the content with them, please stay tuned!

Cheers,

Gina
@ The Drops Support Team

2 Likes

Fun app, and nifty graphics … but Danish is another language where it’s essential to learn definite articles/grammatical gender: Hope thiere’s improvement ahead!

1 Like

Same with Icelandic, that would be really really helpful! [Could be extra great if gendered nouns were color-coded, potentially with use of the background, so that over time knowledge of those largely arbitrary articles could be absorbed/recalled visually as well.]

It’s one of the only qualms I have with Drops, and even though I like the app so much, it’s almost a dealbreaker. :confused:

1 Like