Drops Community

Thai consonants

I know Thai is the most difficult alphabetic language to learn but it seems your coders just want to pwn us!

The transilliteration is terribad here. Suggest using Royal Thai General System of Transcription ( RTGS ) or ISO11940-2!!!

3 Likes

Hi @DrPhil,

Thanks for playing Drops and sending us feedback!

We currently are working on to refine and improve the Thai course in Drops. Unfortunately, I can’t give you a time estimate when the new, updated version will be released, but please stay tuned!

Cheers,

Gina
@ The Drops Support Team

1 Like

As a Thai learner and one who is embarking on the CELTA qualification, will your team be receptive to feedback?

It feels a bit disappointing that Drops earned App of the Year status but left it’s minor languages feeling unfinished.

2 Likes

We love to receive feedback, @DrPhil, and really sorry about the disappointment!

As I mentioned, we currently are working on the Thai content, to provide you with a high quality learning experience!

Cheers,

Gina
@ The Drops Support Team

I agree. I am finding it incredibly frustrating that several of the English answers for different Thai consonants are exactly the same. This means that you’re truly just guessing for some of the solutions. Maybe you could touch the different choices and hear the options before you have to make a choice? Or maybe the English solutions could be more phonetic? I’m actually having trouble seeing the relation between what is written and what I am hearing.

2 Likes

Yeah this is actually blocks learning of alphabet for now … sad story )) just bought 1 month today and wonder of that s//t

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, Admin hasn’t really replied to any posts since mid-December, when an update to the Thai module was promised.

It’s still full of errors.

When can we expect fixes?

2 Likes

It has now been three months since anyone from Drops has posted a substantive reply to any of the posts regarding the Thai module. Shame on you.

For some reason after finishing with the food sections, I find myself back and consonants and am incredibly frustrated at the transcription system you use. Please have a look here:

Each Thai character should have something like this:

ก - ก ไก่ - ko kai - chicken

That the Thai character “ก” followed by the Thai name of the character “ก ไก่” followed by the RTGS transcription " ko kai" followed by the meaning in English “chicken”.

This is the way every Thai kid learns the Thai characters and is the method used throughout adulthood to refer to Thai characters. I don’t know where you got your silly system, but it’s abysmal and not something that would every be useful: ท th (thaaw) and ธ th (thaaw)?? Surely you jest. That makes about as much sense as calling both P and B (pee).

3 Likes