Drops Community

Spoken Arabic vs. Written: dialect

Hello. First of all I have to say thank you for this incredibly useful app (arabic). As for my suggestion and/or request. I was wondering (by the way this is in reference to a post I read- well actually the staff’s response relating grammar and sentence structure) that since the app was primarily developed for the purpose of supplying its learners with a broad list of words (enhance quick learning) a vocab list which I found to be highly effective especially when learning standard-written arabic. I wanted to request, using the same concept yet, encompasses spoken arabic- and supplies a broad list of words culturally specific to a region /dialect (i.e. colloquial use of language) since they’re not taught in any book. For me personally, I would hope to learn the levantine dialect; more specifically Syrian.

Thanks again. Also wanted to mention I’m new to this app incase I’ve happened to post prematurely while I continue to explore more within the app.

2 Likes

Hi @cmw,

Thanks for choosing Drops to learn Arabic words!

We constantly work hard on improving the app and content, and we appreciate feedback and requests like yours! We’ll discuss your ideas with the team, and we’ll see what we can do!

Keep playing, and let us know if there’s anything you would suggest us to refine!

Cheers,

Gina
@ The Drops Support Team

1 Like

I second this suggestion. I would love to see a few dialect options added…the most popular ones being Leventine, Khaleeji (Gulf), and Egyptian. No other app has this, even though it’s important since nobody speaks Modern Standard Arabic in daily conversations (MSA is used for formal situations such as political speeches and the news. People laugh at you if you try to use MSA everyday conversation :upside_down_face:).

1 Like

I would suggest that dialects be looked at. I’m would like to learn the Gulf Dialect but i’m running into some confusion . For example, translating the word ‘I like’: from the app, the pronunciation for the translation is ‘A’na yu’jibuni’ written as انا يعجبني. however, when i use Google translate, the pronunciation is '‘iinaa yaejabani’. The written forms are the same (MSA) for the two pronunciations but I don’t understand the difference between the two pronunciations/dialects

1 Like

hey :slight_smile: I study arabic 4ys. I think that this app is really useful to learn vocabulary, and with basic words the “MSA” words almost the same. To decelope my vocabulary I’m really glad to use this app, even i purchased the premium. It’s easier to remember the words with this method.
To study colloquial spoken language there are lots of books if it’s okey i will suggest some for you.
For levantine Colloquial Levantine Arabic is really useful, and with google i found a book “team nisreen’s fusha to shami”. For palestinian dialect “Speaking Arabic J.Elihay” is really useful. From youtube LearnArabicwithMaha is one of the best.
The Al-Kitaab books (also Alif Baa) teaches you msa, shami and egypt dialect when they teach vocabulary (in a nice table).
For the Gulf arabic i suggest the teach yourself books, they have full courses, or start to follow Al-Ramsa Institute on Instagram or youtube, they teach the emirati dialect.
Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Hi, please consider adding dialects separately as you have done for Cantonese/Mandarin and the varieties of Spanish and Portuguese. Standard words are useful to know but, as someone already mentioned above, no one speaks using many of these words - dialects are what are used to communicate verbally. This is an amazing resource and having differences by dialects would make it truly unmatched!

1 Like

I agree. I am mostly focussed on the Levantine Arabic, I would love to have resource to learn this specifically.

1 Like

This is an incredible app! I wanted to add my support for a dialect option as well. I am hoping to learn Egyptian Arabic. I learned conversational basics from Lebanese friends, and it is quite different than the Egyptian Arabic I am exposed to.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 1 reply.