Drops Community

Rewards that are not as stated

After finally receiving time for referring 2 people (following an unpleasantly protracted struggle), I discovered that this reward time cancels the 5 minutes sessions and the bonus time for watching ads. So in reality, depending how fast one uses this time, it can come out to almost nothing.
I contacted Help with this and after a (good) while the conclusion seems to be that this is the way things work with Drops.
What a disappointment to get things that turn to be much less than stated.
It doesn’t give a good feeling about the mentality and ethics of the enterprise either, despite the fun learning and the beautiful icons.

Bien dit Annie! C’est décevant!

I still don’t received my bonus for referring my boyfriend.
Same as you, when I earn the daily bonus and, after that, watch ads, nothing happens, not a minute longer. This is frustrating.
Well… I’m joining this forum just because I’m having some trouble with the app. When I watch the ads and nothing happens, I swear that I think about uninstall the app, because I don’t earn extra minutes of studying for helping Drops. The same situation is happening with my boyfriend. Please, Drops, fix it!

I’m so sorry for you, this kind of things is very frustrating. At least I get 1 minute more when I watch an ad. Usually. :roll_eyes:

Tu as vécu la même chose?

Thanks for playing Drops @Spacec4t @ELiJoly and @Miratta and sorry for any inconvenience!

We keep working on refining the rewards system, so stay tuned!

If you still have trouble with the bonus please message us from the app’s Help section, so we can help you to receive extra time.

Hey, thanks for the reply! However, I had to fight so much and for so long to get the 40 minutes I was promised that I am not ready to do that again, ever. At least not for some minutes.
But then, don’t count on me either to refer you more people.

@Spacec4t You could also buy the premium plan. It’s cheap. You can get all 32 languages with one payment!

That’s an interesting comment, I understand your point of view. I’ll explain mine. Sorry, it’ll be long.

• Firstly, I never buy anything from people I can’t trust, people who don’t respect their engagements and their customers and offer poor customer service. Unless they make true amends and correct the situation. Which hasn’t happened here even after a couple of months.

• Secondly, I don’t find Drops that cheap, compared with the amount of data I get from other language teaching apps, such as Memrise whose rebate offers are a really good deal, and such as many more that I use to learn the difficult language I’m learning now.

Drops is a great app, a fun and pretty learning game, but it is not teaching any languages as such, just a vocabulary base; so it can only be an addition to other tools, a booster of sorts when learning a new language. This booster tool is as expensive or more expensive than many major language teaching apps that as such offer much more learning material than Drops, and also many languages to choose from.

• Thirdly, the 32 languages thing can be an alluring illusion: if one wants to truly master a language, they have to stick to learning one at a time, until they have the structure of the language and the basis of the vocabulary well integrated. Unless they are learning entirely different languages that have almost nothing in common, and still it is better to learn only one language at a time, in order to create this language structure in the mind and associate it with a vocabulary base.

Even if they are trying to learn an “easy” language, one that is close to other languages they already know, they’ll rarely succeed in less than 3-4 months, to master the basis of day-to-day words and phrases, and then the next language will have to be very different and far from the language they just learned. Otherwise they’ll just be left with a whole mess in their minds, a confused mix of words and sentences, without being able to attach those to one language structure or another.

For example, I’m a French native speaker, I speak Spanish as well as English for many years and I had 2 years of Latin as a kid. I recently learned Italian. It was surprisingly easy and a revelation as to the usefulness of language learning apps. However, I will not go to Portuguese for a while even I can read and understand it quite easily, because as a Romance language it is too close to my relatively fresh Italian. I’ll strengthen my Italian first.

Even if I speak Spanish for many years, I had a few moments of vertigo when I was learning Italian, moments in which I wasn’t sure anymore if such and such word were Spanish or Italian. These moments were few and the hesitations easily mastered, but I could see what would happen if I attacked Portuguese right away.

Still language-hungry, I instead decided to start a completely different language (Polish), (although I sneak in a few words of Latin from time to time in memory of times long gone). I plan for the next languages to be far from the two I’ll have recently learned, like Arabic, Japanese, Farsi (Persian), or even German are (even if German will probably be easier than many others).

So 32 languages or whatever, that’s great but it is also a bit meaningless even if you have the dedication to repeatedly learn 3000 words and expressions in 3 months, with one or more different language teaching apps, because at best, even optimally and optimistically, you can only learn a couple languages in a year.

And again, because Drops only teaches a relatively limited vocabulary base of 1700 words (which is good but still not that much), and does not include anything about the structure of the language or phrases. Nor does it make you practice listening to natives or practice speaking and correct your pronunciation, which are essential skills.

Try as you may, most people need a good 9 months to master a language and it’s tough to go under, say, 4 months, and generally that implies major efforts and in many cases a context of immersion. But, many people who use language teaching apps (again, which Drops isn’t) do it because that can’t go into an immersion and language learning trip.

So it’ll hardly be that fast, except for the rare and few languages that are close to what we already know and then this will only work once, because trying to learn more than one similar languages in a short period of time is very risky, according to my experience, even if it is limited, and the opinion of various polyglots.