Drops Community

Latin America Spanish "Sleeping bag" Wrong?

Hi there,

Drops is a great app to pick up a new language. I have been curious about the Spanish language and have decided to start with Latin American. I know a few Mexicans myself and would be fun to practice with them.

I have a question about the “Outdoors” section of the app. The Spanish word for “Sleeping bag” is “El Sleeping bag”?! That in my opinion, is quite half arsed for a translation. The first time I heard it, I was quite taken aback at this. I understand that there are words that don’t have a Spanish equivalent, but I checked with Google translate and they said it’s “Las bolsa de dormir” or “El Saco de dormir”… Unless that’s what they call it in Latin America. That in my opinion could be an oversight on your part. Could you please verify and correct in the app?

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to hearing from you.

In Venezuela the term “sleeping bag” is used literal in english, only language purist (maybe 1% of population) use “saco de dormir”

2 Likes

Wow! You learn something new everyday! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the clarification Gustavo. Your input is much appreciated. At first glance, it seems like such a glaring error. Here I am thinking, “Who in their right mind would say this?!” Turns out it’s commonly used at least in Venezuela. I do hope in learning through this app that I don’t end up sounding like a stuck-up person or a hill billy. :joy:

So far so good. :+1: