Drops Community

Few questions and possible improvements

Hello, Drops team,

I am very satisfied with your app, its friendly, it is responsive and I was able to learn about 200 Norwegian words within a week which I thought was impossible, but here I am, so thumbs up for that. This method of learning should be used more and especially in schools where younger childer would appreciate such a thing.

My question is, does the app contain sentences, some basic stuff that I could build upon?
Knowing words is good but when I learn a new language I always want to learn the basics:

My name is …
I come from …
I am X years old …
My hobbies are …
I like … (only one I found so far)
etc.

And I do really miss it.

Will I be able to learn past/future tense of the verbs contained in the app?
My idea for improvement is to have the verb in the collection with a rollout menu. I click the verb in its basic form and I see all the other forms of this verb, these forms don’t need to have pronunciation, just a text to see how the verb changes with different pronouns. It would be really nice to have a specific selection for verbs too, the verbs would stay in their original category but as a bonus, there would be a verb category where you could find these verbs with the rollout option.

f.e
Verb: I like

PRESENT
I like
You like
He likes

PAST
I liked
You liked
He liked

and the same for FUTURE. Other Germanic languages change verbs quite a lot with different pronouns.

Another thing I missed was the pronouns themselves. They were in the app, but in a scattered form, I first learned “I” and then I learned “They” in case of pronouns I think it would be much simpler to have a system where you go as it is in the language. “I” “You” “He” “She” “It” “We” “You” “They” and after that their possessive pronouns (not sure if this is the correct word), but you get me: “My” “Your” “His”…
Pronouns could have their own category too as there are few and it would be easy to look for them there.

While I learned about family or as the category is called “Relationships” I missed a lot of basic words like sister, brother, sibling (weren’t even there) which were in the category “More relationships” as “Brother-in-law = Svigerbror” which I had to get from the word so I would get “Bror = Brother”. Some of these words get quite different in other languages and it would be nice again to have all the basic words first and then the more advanced ones. Mom, dad, brother, sister… but the 3rd word I learned was Krangel (Argument) and the 5th was “Love at first sight” which is a tongue-twister in Norwegian and definitely not the word I want to learn when talking about “Relationships and Family” may be a separate category for family and family members would be nice. As well I would rather learn “I love you” in Norwegian instead of “Love at first sight”.

It would be also really nice to see what words are you going to learn in that category, in some hidden menu or directly, just a quick list before starting the lesson so you know what to expect a bit.

The “tough word dojo” is a nice feature but more than hard words it really displays everything else ( I curently have those 200 words so there are probably not that many hard words I could practice - only that love at first sight stuff that displays as every 5th word :frowning: ). I thought there could be one more category in which you could select only the topics you want (and maybe the words in them that cause you problems) and train them. F.e. you forgot pronouns and colours, but instead of training one after the other, you combine them - so you just select these 2 and give them a few rounds.

Edit 1: I thought It would be nice to have a category about alphabet, it would make learning much easier. Knowing how many lettets each language has, pronounciation of each letter too. Remebering them could improve reading and it is also one of the 1st things you learn for a new language via some kind of a child alphabet song. There could be also some words as an example that could show you differerent pronounciation of the same letter. F.e in Norwegian you have ø which in Czech you pronounce like ó and than you have ö which you pronouce like ú in Czech. This would be realy handy to know beforehand.

This is currently all that comes to my mind, I am really thankfull for this app and I hope you will continue in its development.

I will await your response.

1 Like