It seems there’s a confusion between 2 different species of insects :
- 蛍 and its (correct) pronunciation, which means “firefly” (an insect glowing in the dark)
- the translation (“firebug” in english, “gendarme” in french), with the picture of a firebug (an insect with a specific red and black pattern)
- see the warning at the top of the Firebug article on Wikipedia : “Not to be confused with Firefly”
- see 蛍 on jisho.org which is translated as “firefly”
Thank you for your hard work, and have a nice day!
I just saw, that were was a previous report of a similar problem for the (islandic→japanese) :
- ピロコリスアプテルス seems to be the transliteration of “Pyrrhocoris apterus” which the scientific latin binomial name for the “firebug”,
- While “蛍 / ホタル” is a “firefly/glowworm” (and blysbjalla seems indeed the Icelandic word for firefly).